- to ensure safer and appropriate use of cameras and images through agreed acceptable use procedures. This is in line with legislative requirements and aims to respect the rights of all individuals.
- Photographs are taken for the purpose of recording a child or group of children participating in activities or celebrating their achievements and are an effective form or recording their progression in the Early Years Foundation Stage. They may also be used on our website and/or by the local press with permission from the parents.
- However, it is essential that photographs are taken and stored appropriately to safeguard the children in our care.
This policy complies with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998, Freedom of Information Act 2000, Human Rights Act 1998 and other relevant Acts regarding the taking and use of photographic images of children.
- All images will be used in a manner that meets the requirements of the eight Data Protection principles:
- Fairly and lawfully processed.
- Processed for limited, specifically stated purposes only.
- Used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive.
- Accurate and up to date.
- Kept on file for no longer than is necessary.
- Processed in line with an individual’s legal rights.
- Kept securely.
- Adequately protected if transferred to other countries.
As an organisation that processes personal datawe are registered under the Data Protection Act with the Information Commissioners Office.
- General signed consent to take photographs or record images of children should be requested form the parent or carer on enrolment of their child, this is found in the contract.The purpose for taken any images should be clearly explained and agreed. This consent will cover the taking of images for general purposes, such as taking photographs which will be used to document children’s learning.
- The parent or carer will reserve the right to refuse or withdraw their consent at any time. Partial or restricted consent may also be given where deemed necessary by the parent or carer.
- Specific consent for the use of images for purposes other than those previously stated and agreed will be requested, for example should images be required for publicity materials or to support the training needs of early years practitioners and their managers. Such consent will detail how the photographs are to be used and for what period of time such permissions will cover.
- Images of children who no longer attend the early years setting should not be used, unless specific consent has been obtained to cover this extended period. Generally, consent to use images will lapse should a child leave the early years setting.
- Only the designated pre-school cameras (on ipad and pre-school phone) are to be used to take any photos within the setting or on outings.
- Images taken on thesedevices must be deemed suitable without putting the child/children in any compromising positions that could cause embarrassment or distress.
- All staff are responsible for the location of these devices-to be put in the office at the end of the day.
- Devices are password protected.
- Images taken and stored on the devices must be downloaded onto Tapestry as soon as possible, ideally once a week. Or moved into a password protected folder.
- Under no circumstances must the devices be taken into the toilet areas.